Math 1524 covers topics in PreCalculus, Differential Calculus and Multivariable Calculus with Business applications. It is a hybrid course that consists of quizzes and exams that are structured in the format of a Math Emporium course PLUS weekly labs.
Math 1524 Course Policy
About this course:
Math 1524 is a four credit course that covers topics in PreCalculus, Differential Calculus and Multivariable Calculus with Business applications. It is a hybrid course that consists of quizzes and exams that are structured in the format of a Math Emporium course PLUS weekly labs.
Instructor: Jerri England
How we work in this course:
Learning at the Math Emporium is based on a student-led learning approach, where knowledge is constructed by the students' exploration and hands-on problems.
You will be asked to work in Math 1524 (free) online text-book at your own pace, work examples, and work on practice problems that will prepare you for the quizzes and exams in your course. Students should be prepared to actively develop learner autonomy and independence, instead of passively listening to a lecture. Please click in this link to know the steps to work in our course.
You will also work on weekly labs with your fellow students. These labs explore a variety of business applications. These labs will be completed at the Math Emporium at your scheduled time.
Your grade in this course:
The final grade for this course is computed based on the following:
- Midterm tests: 55%
- Quizzes: 10%
- Final Exam: 20%
- Labs: 15%
You will receive scores for 16 Graded Quizzes this semester.
- Most quizzes (Quizzes 2 - 14) will be based on the mathematical content of the course. Each of these quizzes will have 6 questions.
- Three quizzes (Quiz 1, Quiz S, & Quiz E) will not be based on mathematical content.
- Quiz 1: This is the Orientation Quiz. It covers things you need to know to succeed in your course. Quiz 1 has 15 questions.
- Quiz S: You will get Quiz credit for completing several Canvas activities involving study habits.
- Quiz E: You will get Quiz credit for completing an end-of-semester survey about the Emporium.
- Only the highest 12 Graded Quiz scores will be used to calculate your ending Quiz % Average at the end of the semester.
You will receive grades for 5 Midterm Tests.
- Each Midterm Test consists of 18 problems in multiple-choice format covering the same material as the corresponding Practice Problems.
- You may take each of the 5 Midterm Tests twice before the deadline date and time that appear to the right of the test link in the Quiz and Test System for that test. If you take the test a second time, your better score will count for ⅔ of that test score, while your lower score will count for ⅓ of that test score.
- There are 5 Midterm Tests that must be taken for this course. The LAST day to start a test is called the deadline day. Deadline days for your Midterm Tests are: (remember, the times of your deadlines can be found in the Quiz & Test system)
Test 1 - September 14
Test 2 - September 28
Test 3 - October 19
Test 4 - November 9
Test 5 - December 7
You will complete 10 Lab Assignments this semester.
- Each Lab Assignment will consist of a Lab Document and a Lab Problems Quiz based on the completed Lab Document and associated completed Excel worksheet. The score for the Lab Assignment will come from a combination of attendance, the Lab Document, and the Lab Problems Quiz.
- Your lowest Lab Assignment will be dropped. The scores from all other Lab Assignments will contribute equally to your Lab % Average.
- For more details about Labs and make up labs, go to the Labs page.
You will take a Comprehensive Final Exam.
- The Final Exam consists of 25 problems in multiple-choice format covering all of the course content.
- The Comprehensive Final Exam must be taken one time before the deadline in the Emporium proctored area.
- The LAST day to start the Final Exam is: December 14
- Note: Since the final exam is worth 20% of your course average, you can’t earn an A in this course if you miss the final exam.
If you want to track your grade in the course, you can use the Grade Estimator.
The Undergraduate Honor Code pledge that each member of the university community agrees to abide by states:
"As a Hokie, I will conduct myself with honor and integrity at all times. I will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor will I accept the actions of those who do."
Students enrolled in this course are responsible for abiding by the Honor Code. A student who has doubts about how the Honor Code applies to any assignment is responsible for obtaining specific guidance from the course instructor before submitting the assignment for evaluation. Ignorance of the rules does not exclude any member of the University community from the requirements and expectations of the Honor Code. For more details about how the honor code applies to Emporium courses, see the Emporium Honor Code Policy.
For additional information about the Honor Code, please visit the University's Honor System.
Getting Help in this course
Learner autonomy means that you will be in charge of persistently seeking help in a timely manner, keeping track of the deadlines and managing your time wisely.
At the Math Emporium you will have support from your instructor and tutors to succeed. Visit the help resources available for you at the Math Emporium.
You should feel free to contact your instructor with any questions you may have.
Instructor: Jerri England
|Week 1||August 24 / 25||Lab 1||In Person Lab|
|.||August 29||Quiz 1||Orientation Information|
|Week 2||Aug 31 / Sep 1||Lab 2||In Person Lab|
|September 2||Quiz 2||Unit 1|
|Week 3||September 7 / 8||Lab 3||In Person Lab|
|September 9||Quiz 3||Unit 2|
|Week 4||September 14||Test 1||Units 1 -2|
|September 16||Quiz 4||Unit 3|
|Week 5||September 21 / 22||Lab 4||In Person Lab|
|September 23||Quiz 5||Unit 4|
|Week 6||September 28||Test 2||Units 3 - 4|
|September 30||Quiz 6||Module 5.1|
|Week 7||October 5 / 6||Lab 5||In Person Lab|
|October 7||Quiz 7||Module 5.2|
|Week 8||October 12 / 13||Lab 6||In Person Lab|
|October 14||Quiz 8||Modules 5.3 - 5.4|
|Week 9||October 19||Test 3||Unit 5|
|October 21||Quiz 9||Module 6.1|
|Week 10||October 26 / 27||Lab 7||In Person Lab|
|October 28||Quiz 10||Module 6.2 - 6.3|
|Week 11||November 2 / 3||Lab 8||In Person Lab|
|November 4||Quiz 11||Module 6.4|
|Week 12||November 9||Test 4||Unit 6|
|November 11||Quiz 12||Module 7.1|
|Week 13||November 16 / 17||Lab 9||In Person Lab|
|November 18||Quiz 13||Module 7.2 - Lesson 7.3.3|
|Week 14||Nov 30 / Dec 1||Lab 10||In Person Lab|
|December 2||Quiz 14||Lessons 7.3.4 - 7.3.6|
|Week 15||December 7||Test 5||Unit 7|
|Week 16||December 14||Final Exam||All Course Material|